In order to apply to train with BISS the following are required:
- A university education as a medical doctor, teacher, psychologist, theologian, clinical social worker or a specialised training in one of the humanities or social sciences. Persons not having a university education but who can demonstrate adequate educational background will also be considered.
- Evidence of having had some in-depth inner development and insight, such as may be achieved in the experience of personal analysis or other disciplines leading to such developments.
- Some evidence of having applied the above practically in relation to others.
- The applicant is required to have undergone Sandplay therapy themselves, with a member of the International organisation. (Minimum of twenty sand trays.)
- Application is by submission of a CV indicating how the above criteria have been satisfied together with appropriate evidence.
- Licensure to practise psychotherapy in countries and regions where licensure is required.
- Exceptions will be made for exceptional persons.